Prof. Shimane W Makhabu
Faculty of Sciences
Department of Biological Sciences (BS)
- PhD in Biology, Area of Specialisation: Plant Ecology, 2005. Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway.
- PhD thesis topic: Interactions between woody plants, elephants and other browsers in the Chobe Riverfront, Botswana. https://ntnuopen.ntnu.no/ntnu-xmlui/handle/11250/244593.
- Master of Science in Land and Water Management (Range Management option), 1995. Silsoe College, Cranfield University, United Kingdom (UK).
- MSc thesis topic: Assessment of elephant impact upon the mopane woodland of Moremi Wildlife Reserve, Botswana.
- Bachelor of Science, Combined Major: Biology and Environmental Science, 1992. University of Botswana, Botswana
- Member and former board member of Kalahari Conservation Society (KCS).
- Member of Birdlife Botswana
- Member and board member of Kalahari Research and Conservation (KRC)
Courses currently taught
- Biodiversity (Evolution, taxonomy, plant diversity, animal diversity and ecology components)
- Cell biology (Cell structure and functions components)
- Biological Systematics
- Economic Botany
I had supervised 31 undergraduate students when they did their final year Project (APB410 and APB420)
Supervision of Graduates:
I have supervised 1 MSc graduate in BUAN.
Have co-supervised 6 graduates from other Universities
- Interactions of animals and vegetation
- Rehabilitation of degraded lands
- Vegetation inventories and mapping
- Uses and conservation of medicinal plants
- Bush encroachment status and control measures
- Vegetation Assessment
- Wildlife Ecology
- Animal home ranges determination using collars
Recently Completed Research
- Mapping of vegetation of Kgatleng, Kweneng and Central Districts
- Use and conservation of medicinal and food indigenous plants
- Use of goats to control bush encroachment
- Effect of Makgadikgadi vegetation on beef cattle production
- Interaction of elephants and other herbivores on the vegetation of Chobe Riverfront
- Determination of home ranges of wildebeest in Central Kalagadi Game Reserve and surrounding Wildlife management areas by the use of conventional and satellite collars
- Effect of use of artificial watering points by wild animals on vegetation in Central Kalahari Game Reserve
- 2017 – to date: “Identification and trials of suitable grass species for restoration of overgrazed Western Sandveld Ranches in Central District, Botswana”. Funded by Forest Conservation Botswana (FCB)
- 2016 – to date: Development of functional foods and nutrient enhancement of indigenous foods by potential utilisation of selected food sources of Botswana. Funded by BUAN. RTD & TC (RPC 42)
- September 2019 – to date: Development of a Land Use and Management Plan for Controlled Hunting Area CH1. (Bto002/1005-19-20/Ch1(3)). Specialist in Wildlife Biology and Ecology.
- March 2019 to March 2021: Involved as Conservation Ecologist in a consultancy to develop management plans for Kasane and Chobe Forest Reserves. Consultancy did for Forest Conservation Botswana.
- 2017 to 2018: Involved as an Ecologist in a consultancy titled "Rangeland and livestock vulnerability assessment to climate change in Botswana". This was a consultancy for the Department of Meteorological Services, and it was funded by UNDP. This was part of Botswana's Third communication to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). I did it being part of KOBMA HOLDINGS (PTY) LTD.
31 Jul, 2021